Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Monica Zetterlund - Visa från Utanmyra

I've been to IKEA twice this week, so I'm in a Stockholm state of mind. Since I'm swedening up my place today, I thought I'd tell you a little about a Swedish singer I love.

Monica Zetterlund was one of Sweden's finest singers. I first heard her voice when I was having dinner at my friend Ingrid's house. She was playing Monica's newest album at the time, and I was haunted by her beautiful voice and the lush arrangements on the album.

The next time my friend Ingrid went home to Sweden, she brought me back a copy of the album, Varsamt.

Shortly after that I began studying Swedish. I love the language, although I have not studied it for a few years.

Every Saturday morning when I lived in Washington DC, I would hop on the Metro to Falls Church to Svenska Skolan (The Swedish School). I have such wonderful memories of that time in my life.

Monica Zetterlund died in a fire in her apartment in 2005. She is missed by many who loved her music and her beautiful face.

I hope you enjoy her!

No comments: