Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Monday, January 23, 2006

First Words

Writing an entry this morning feels almost like I am starting a blog for the first time and need to introduce myself. There is so much to tell, and I'm not sure where to begin.

I managed to post two entries from Japan, and both times I felt an incredible sense of release afterwards. I realize that I need Hot Toddy's Toaster Oven more than I thought. If I can't write, I feel frustrated.

This morning as I got ready for work, I thought about how thankful I am to have my own bathroom. In Japan we shared a bathroom with the other guests at the ryokan, so it is great not having to chat with strangers as I brush my teeth. Sleeping, however, is another story. I loved sleeping with Superman. Well, not sleeping with him, per se, but sleeping in the same room as him. Something about the sound of a man breathing deeply next to me at night actually helps me sleep better. Since I have been home, my sleep is not as restful. Maybe I am just suffering from jet lag. Or maybe I just need a superhero of my own.

Speaking of superheroes, I did think of Thor while I was in Japan. I tried not to, but on the day that would have been our eight month anniversary, I was so sad. I almost felt him reaching across the ocean and grabbing my heart. I wish my love for him didn't have so much power over my emotions. I'm still working through things. It will take time.

I am going to miss the Excelsior cafe in Ikebukuro where we had breakfast most mornings. That cafe was specially selected because there were food menus to point at, so I could get a consistently tasty breakfast (ciabatta egg sandwich) and always knew how much it would cost (only 480 yen).

I will also miss the best inflight magazine ever. I was obsessed with this publication from Air Canada. Ask anyone who went on the trip with me. I couldn't shut up about enRoute. I may have to schedule more trips on Air Canada just so I can read great articles like this one about Psychogeography on a regular basis.

More Japan stories soon....

No comments: