Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

How's Your News?



Have you seen How's Your News?

It is one of the most compelling and beautiful documentary films I've ever seen.

A group of disabled reporters travel across the country interviewing people on the street. The cast members are so pure at heart and endearing. I fell in love with them, and many times during the movie I had tears streaming down my face. I have never been so moved by a movie, and I just want everyone to see it. Watching the cast experience The Grand Canyon, the Fort Worth Stockyards, Vegas showgirls, and the Hollywood Walk of Fame was beautiful and deeply touching.

I found out about this film when I heard the Special Ed episode (#207) of This American Life.

I purchased the DVD and loved it so much. I just want to tell everyone I know to check out this movie!

There are awkward moments in the film. At times I cringed and almost felt like I wanted to turn away from the interviews. But these reporters seem to have no fear about talking to strangers. They don't worry about the way others perceive them and their disabilities. As Ronnie, one of the reporters, says to a lady who laughs at him, "It's okay to laugh, ma'am. I laugh at myself all the time."

No comments: