Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Monday, May 22, 2006

(Almost) Perfect Weekend

The 24 Hour Play was tons of fun. I stayed up till 4:30 a.m. on Saturday writing the play. Then I slept for about an hour. Then I got up and drove downtown to my office so I could print the script. (Gotta buy a printer!)

At 8:00 a.m., I met with the director, Sha Sha, and the actors. What a great experience to listen to them reading the lines I had written only four hours earlier. It was so much fun to listen to my actors laughing at their lines.

I wish I could figure out some way to link to the script. Is there a site that hosts documents for free the way some of those photo sites work?

It's hard to describe the play I wrote. The photographs I drew from the hat were of four actors. Camille had a white coat and binoculars. Darius had dice and gloves. Dee wore a cowboy hat and held a paintbrush in her teeth. Buffie was dressed as a waitress and held a gun. Combining them into a story was a challenge, but I think you would have been proud of my results. I doubt that there has ever been a play with more Oprah and Little House on the Prairie references than the one I wrote: "The Tucumcari Morality Play". (My friend Ben commented that his favorite line was, "Half Pint was a liar..."

After the play, Auburn Pisces (thank you for going with me!) and I went to CC Slaughters for their 25th Birthday party. Someone actually recognized me from Hot Toddy's Toaster Oven and came up to introduce himself - that was fun. (Great to meet you, Rigo!) I've never wanted to stay and close the bar so badly, but The Toddtender was working that night and told me I should go home and rest before our game the next day. My team was playing his team (The Bears), so it would have been in his best interest to make sure I was not at my best. But he cares too much about me - that's why he's the Toddtender.

On Sunday we played 2 games. Lost both games. The Bears beat us 10-9. That damn Gay Men's Chorus trounced us. I don't think you should be allowed to be talented at BOTH singing and sports. Pick a talent, gentlemen.

The Cubs have really come together as a team, and we have a lot of fun together. I'm proud to be on a team with so much heart. I'm making some good friends. I actually look forward to rehearsal practice every week.

After a weekend of writing and theatre and softball and sunshine, I was feeling mighty good last night. Driving home from the game in Sven, my big white truck, I watched a tremendous thunderstorm approach from the west.

As I watched the storm through my rearview mirror and listened to Rufus Wainwright (thank you, Verdi!), I couldn't help but wish for a partner waiting for me at home. He would say, "Your play was so great, baby" and hand me a glass of Port as I sat down next to him. "I'm proud of you, Toddy," he'd tell me. While I took a shower, he'd make a really healthy and hearty dinner. We'd eat and then we'd talk about the softball games, and I'd tell him how sore I felt. He'd pull out the Tiger Balm and massage my aching muscles.

I have candles and music and a bottle of Port at home. Plenty of Tiger Balm too. I can light candles and drink Port and listen to music alone. But I can't reach all the sore spots when my muscles hurt. This is not to say I am not happy being single, for the most part. At last I have learned to accept my life instead of always feeling desperate to have a partner. But I would be lying if I said there weren't moments that might be even greater if I had someone special to share them with.

No comments: