Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Fags Discussing Flags

Sunday night I went over to Auburn Pisces' house for some emotional grounding after a rough weekend. I had the time of my life, and especially enjoyed helping her daughter, Auburn Aries, practice a speech about the African Rock Python. Thor, Auburn Pisces' housemate, and I held a twenty-eight inch piece of yarn from opposite sides of the room so we could help little Auburn Aries demonstrate the length of the snake. (Oh, Auburn Pisces just clarified that it was a 28 foot piece of yarn. Size matters.)

I was really pulling for Auburn Aries when I realized that she was being assisted with the project by her geographically challenged mother. At one point, I asked about a flag pasted to the visual aid posterboard.

"That is the flag of Africa. I found it online for my daughter," boasted Auburn Pisces.

"No, I don't think there is a flag for all of Africa," I replied. "Maybe it is the South African flag," I suggested.

"It is the African flag," insisted Auburn Pisces.

Since I know of no continent that has its own flag, I tried to clarify this. "But we don't have a North American flag, Auburn Pisces. I don't think Africa has a flag."

"Yes, we do too have a North American flag. What is that red, white and blue one?" she said in a very challenging manner.

"Um, that the US flag, Auburn Pisces. Not the North American flag."

"Oh, that's right. Canada has one, don't they?" (And I used to love the Canadian flag before I discovered that link).

Good luck with school, Auburn Aries. I'll be around if you need me for anything related to geography. But I have to draw the line at Algebra. Sorry.

No comments: