Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Hot Toddy, Mystery Solver

On Sunday I called Thor at noon. "Someone's at the door, I'll call you right back," he said.

He didn't call me right back. I still hadn't heard from him at 1:00. Then 2:00 came and went with no word from him. 3:00, 4:00, 5:00 - still no call.

Around 6:00 I decided that he was on his way to Portland to surprise me. I figured the person at the door must be his ride to the airport, and that he was just waiting to call me back until he was at my front door. It would be the best surprise ever.

At 7:00, I decided his flight was delayed. By 9:00, I had abandoned hope of a surprise Labor Day visit from my boyfriend.

At 10:00, I climbed into bed to read. I was fuming at Thor for not calling back.

At 11:30, I turned off the light. My phone rang a couple minutes later.

"Honey, I have had the worst day," Thor told me. He then described a very chaotic day, and I understood why he hadn't called. I admitted to him that I had convinced myself he was on his way to surprise me. He laughed when I explained my theory of his surprise visit to Portland.

"Why do you do that? Why do you create stories in your head, Toddy?" he asked me.

"You always said I was like Nancy Drew. When something doesn't make sense to me, I try to solve the mystery," I replied.

"Toddy, I'm not sure you're really Nancy Drew after all. When Nancy Drew solves a mystery, she is usually right," Thor said.

I admitted that he had a point. I can create some pretty fantastic scenarios sometimes as I attempt to piece together evidence.

Thor laughed on the other end of the phone as he told me, "I think you are more like the Brady Bunch kids if they were trying to solve a mystery."

He knows me so well.

No comments: