Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Friday, September 02, 2005

My Hero

This week, my man Thor rescued a jackrabbit that had fallen down into a hole. I couldn't follow the story very well since we tend to speak quickly and interrupt each other a lot on our phone calls, but I know the jackrabbit rescue ended happily with the jackrabbit thanking Thor for saving his life before the bunny hopped away.

Thor is a gentle giant. Kind to animals and children, he reminds me of Jesus or Pa Ingalls. On the other hand, with his shaved head, tattoo and pierced ear, he looks like he could possibly be cast in HBO's OZ series. Please bear with me a moment as I reflect on a prison fantasy that just popped into my head.

Wow. MMmmmmm. Nice. Woof!

Okay, I'm back. What was I saying? Oh, yes. Thor is tough. He can be intimidating at first glance. But children, animals and trusting grown men like me know that he is kind and warm. I remember one late night when Thor and I stood next to my car and a woman walked by with her dog. She seemed nervous when Thor said hello to her. Then he asked her, "Do you know Patty Griffin?" (We had just come from the concert).

The woman nervously answered that she didn't. "Me neither," he said. The woman kept walking, and I had to chuckle at the pointless exchange that had just occurred. He certainly never meant to make her nervous, but I could see her quicken her pace as she walked away.

Sometimes he is a little scary to me when we're playing. He always says that he loves the look in my eyes when we play games, because it is obvious I have no idea what to expect from him. That's exciting to both of us! I'm looking forward to the next time I experience that sensation. Then I can stop being jealous that other people seem to be having all the fun!

No comments: