Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Separation

Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color.
-- W.S. Merwin

This time apart from Thor has not diminished me or left a hole in me. His absence from my daily life has, however, colored my world with a different shade.

It is remarkable how differently we are both responding to the situation. He's working harder, sleeping less and becoming more impulsive. I'm distracted at work, sleeping more and reading books.

This weekend I went hiking. This weekend Thor had his nipples pierced. (Don't think I didn't start salivating the minute I heard that. My tongue goes with nipple piercings like chocolate goes with peanut butter.)

It will be interesting to come back together and observe the way our separation has colored our worlds. I'm fortunate to be in a relationship that is being tested in its early stages. What I've learned so far is that absence does make the heart grow fonder, we still make each other laugh, and, so far, the sky hasn't fallen.

No comments: