Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Monday, October 11, 2004

The Party's Over

The dust has settled, and I am ready to humbly retreat into my former insignificance. My birthday is over.

Yesterday I spent the entire day watching HBO On Demand, so I finally got to see the series finale of Sex and the City. I was, frankly, worn out emotionally from my birthday party and needed a day to be quiet. Most of the party was fun and crazy. Pony wore a sexy cowboy hat that I hope to see lots more of, and The Executive provided an awesome bar. I had a great time with my friends, and received many bottles of whiskey, some flowers, a book by David Sedaris and some other fun gifts.

After midnight, I found myself in a deep conversation with four or five of my guests and, although I don't want to go into too many details, I can't say I enjoyed the talk. I know my friends want the very best for me, but sometimes I need to go against their advice and make my own choices. If I regret the decisions later, they are always free to say, "I told you so". And they will, but that's okay. The Midget stayed until five in the morning, and I was really grateful because she is such a good listener.

I've learned from experience that the world doesn't stop for you just because it's your birthday. You still have to deal with real issues, and sometimes you cry on your birthday even if they aren't tears of joy.

But the cake The Politician made for me was the second best thing I've ever put in my mouth, and I had more of it for breakfast yesterday.

No comments: