Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Proud Mary

Last night I went to a cocktail party at the Portland City Grill that was just fabulous. The view of the city is so amazing from this bar, and it is especially beautiful at this time of the year with holiday lights shining in the West Hills.

My friend Proud Mary brought me as her guest, and I confess that I compromised my vegetarian commitment to taste some sushi and a crab cake. Had I not given in, I would have been subjected to asparagus stalks and olives for the evening. I had to have something to soak up the 6 free Jack Daniels on the rocks that I consumed.

At one point, Proud Mary and I ducked out of the party so I could go have a smoke at the bar. We were admiring this beautiful man a couple tables away, when suddenly Mary decided it would be fun to make me cry. She said something so touching, so sweet, so thoughtful. She told me that she has been praying for me to meet a great guy.

"What? Do you really pray that," I asked.
"You are a great person. I want you to meet someone," she answered.
"But, do you really PRAY that I will meet someone? Like, you pray to God that I will find a boyfriend?"

Yep. She does.

The fact is, tons of people pray for me all the time and let me know they are praying for me. But they are praying that I will stop being gay or that I will "return to God". This sweet friend of mine touched me in an incredible way. She is praying that I will be happy! She is not asking God to "humble me" or cause me to see the error of my "lifestyle". She is talking to God about me and pleading my case. She is asking God to give me a boyfriend.

I love her so much. And when I realized that she was serious, and that she cares about me that way, well the tears started flowing. I am sure I looked ridiculous, especially if the beautiful man caught a glimpse of that. But I didn't care. I have the most amazing friends in the world.

No comments: