Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Hot and Sour Soup Explosion

I went to lunch yesterday with The Handsome Prince after a vague phone call in which we both attempted to force the decision-making on each other:

Toddy: Let's go eat lunch together.
THP: Okay
Toddy: You decide where.
THP: No, you.
Toddy: No, you decide.
THP: No, you decide and surprise me.

So, we went to my favorite new restaurant, Chopsticks, which specializes in Southeast Asian cuisine and Southeast Asian waiters. YUM on both accounts.

I had an important meeting at work yesterday, so I looked professional and mega-corporate in my dry cleaned dress shirt. Typically, I dress in jeans and casual shirts. You already know where this is going.

THP put a spoonful of hot and sour soup up to his mouth and COUGHED. An eruption of soup with chunks of pepper and chicken blasted onto my face, shirt and pants. "What the - - " I said as I ran to the bathroom to clean up.

Once I showered in the sink, I came back to the table. My first thought was, "Why did you do that, Handsome Prince?"

Actually, my first thought was, "Wow. That was a hot and sour soup explosion. That would be a good name for a band."

Actually, my first thought was, "Now I have something to blog about tomorrow."

Actually, my thoughts aren't totally linear like that, so there is no telling which thought was first. All of those thoughts sort of voiced themselves at once, like when those pesky reporters shout out their questions at once during press conferences.

THP apologized profusely through fits of laughter. Such sincerity. Then he said, "I'm just glad it was YOU I was eating with."

"Right. 'Cause it would be disastrous to spew soup on someone who really mattered," I answered.

"No, I just mean - - I mean - - it's YOU, Todd. I can do things like that with you," he laughed. I guess friendship means never having to put your soup spoon down before you cough. Or something.

This morning as we were getting ready to leave for work, I told The Handsome Prince that I was thinking of blogging about The Hot and Sour Soup Explosion.

"I don't think it will make a very good blog entry, though," I confessed.

"No, but it is a good metaphor for our relationship," offered THP.

Truer words were never spoken.

No comments: