Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Take a Number

I can't believe I have to work when I come to work. This is a new concept for me.

I remember those leisurely mornings in my old position when I could shuffle into the office wearing a bathrobe and shower cap and settle down at my desk to write my blog. Not that I ever really wore a bathrobe to the office, but I could have. Nobody would have noticed.

Now I come into the office and immediately jump into action. I make phone calls and respond to requests for training and coordinate class schedules. Today I found out that my voice mail message light isn't working, so when I finally checked it, I had messages from a week ago that I'd never responded to.

I miss my little chats over e-mail with Famous Author Rob Byrnes. I miss corresponding with my Gaelic boyfriend (you know who you are) and chatting about boys with Juju. I miss e-mail psychotherapist, Myron, and I think it's my turn to write him. I haven't even thanked J*den for her drunk dials and recap of 16 Candles. I never wrote to thank Pua for sending Lokelani's nuts to me. In addition to keeping up with my great friends, I've received more e-mail in the past couple weeks as new readers introduce themselves, and I am so slow at getting back to everyone. I'm thinking of creating an auto-reply message that says:

"Hot Toddy's Toaster Oven appreciates your message. Your e-mail will be answered in the order in which it was received. Please be patient and know that your issue will receive the same quality response Hot Toddy is currently providing other friends and family members at this moment. For priority service, please visit Hot Toddy's Toaster Oven at the right-hand corner of the bar next to the MegaTouch game console at CC Slaughters."

When I get used to this new job, I'm sure my blog will find its rightful place on my daily agenda. Right at the top of my To Do list. But for now, I'm just trying to keep my head above water.

No comments: