Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Eenie Meenie Minie Moe

Still trying to decide if gay marriage should be legal or not? Talking with someone who just made a life commitment to their partner is the easiest way to reach a conclusion.

I had a great talk with Ubergirl on the phone today. She and her partner of four years just got married a week ago. Ubergirl can't stop crying tears of joy over her marriage. She has a beautiful daughter and a wonderful partner, and now they have a legal marriage. To Ubergirl's daughter, she knows her parents have made a commitment to one another. It's no longer just "mommy's girlfriend living with us". Now it's spouses for life.

Lately, I've been wondering how I would personally make a decision about gay marriage if I, myself, were not gay. What if I had no opportunity to talk with a gay person in a committed relationship and no past experience being committed to someone myself? I would still decide it is the right way to go. I would make this decision strictly based on the actions of same-sex marriage supporters and opponents. I don't think it would take me very long to come to the conclusion that I support gay marriage.

First of all, I have this little problem with tolerance. I am not tolerant of poor spelling. Sorry, but it seems to me that most of the opponents of gay marriage can't spell. You've seen the comments in various blogs. You've seen the protest signs. I mean, they seem to have mastered short three-letter words like "God" and "fag", and of course they have the four-letter words down like "hate" and "hell". But, if you are going to threaten a queer-loving, tree-hugging, devil-worshipping liberal don't address them as "The Mayer of Portland".

I'm not saying that opponents of gay marriage are ignorant, just that they are stupid.

Okay, so that's not a very good legal argument, but I never claimed to be a lawyer. Can I just say that a lot of the opponents say really stupid things? Karen Minnis, House Speaker, says that we have over 3,000 years of tradition in this country being violated by allowing same-sex marriage. This will be a very convincing argument in 1,000 more years, Karen.

But I am editorializing. Let's go straight to a couple sources and allow them to speak for themselves.

Exhibit One: Phone message from an opponent of gay marriage

Several of the county commissioners have received death threats because they took action to allow same-sex marriage licenses in Multnomah County. Here is a transcript of one of the messages:

"Hi, my name is Brandon Rogers. I hope you get AIDS from your f------ brother and before you're run out of the commission, you little b----. I hope your whole family is killed. I hope it with all my heart that you guys are gunned down and killed."
***

Mr. Rogers (ironic name) attacked the camera crew during his interview. Not a very beautiful day in HIS neighborhood.

Now, let's hear an argument from the other side.

Exhibit Two: Statement from Portland Mayor Vera Katz

"Marriage is the place where we create a home for children - and gay men and lesbian women have children and throughout history have had children. Those children have the right to be raised within the loving confines of a marriage, not within an ambiguously named civil union.

In a world where we worry that promiscuity is rampant, why would we not embrace those who are pledging fidelity?

In a world racked with instability, why would we not embrace those who seek permanence?

In a world where we worry about a lack of commitment, why would we not embrace those building a lifetime of devotion?"
***

Thanks, Vera. I love you. I would marry you if you weren't a woman.

If you have ever had the opportunity of seeing the LOVE shared by a same-sex couple standing in line for a marriage license or even seen one picture of a same-sex wedding ceremony, the decision is easy.

If you have ever seen or heard the HATE spewing forth from those opposed, well, it's just sad.

Court is adjourned.

No comments: