Featured Post

Seething Cakes of Hatred

Making pancakes, as I learned at AP's birthday bash at the beach this weekend, is an unbelievably tedious chore. I don't know why I...

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Happy Birthday, Baby!

My Yum Yum brother, The Dancer, is turning 21!


As he's reminded me, he wasn't even born when I was writing diary entries like this:

May 28, 1982
I loved ANNIE! It's the best musical in the world. I wouldn't mind watching it 13 times!

Yum Yum Matty,
Even though some of us are old enough to be your father, we love you like a brother.

I, for one, am extremely proud of you. You're smart and cute. You're talented and strong. You are funny and warm. You'll go far in life, and I hope I am by your side watching you grow and thrive over the years.

I am amazed and envious that you came out at such a young age. When I was 21, I was secretly fantasizing about him while pretending to be attracted to her.

It must be thrilling to be open about your sexuality as you enter your twenties. I will never know that thrill, but I'm glad I'm your friend so I can bask in who you are.

You did, however, miss out on a lot by being born so late. You never got a chance to lust over the steamy homoerotic storylines of Dynasty, for example.

You'll never know the joy of having these men as role models.

My wish for you on your birthday is that you will never have to lie about who you are. I want you to always be proud.

One of my favorite series is Tales of the City, by Armistead Maupin.
My birthday gift to you is the first two books in the series. Let's talk about these stories together - maybe you've seen the films based on the books. If not, you'll have fun watching them!

One of my favorite characters, Michael or "Mouse" sends the following words to his mother when he comes out to her, and I want to share these sentiments with you. You are blessed to be surrounded by this group of older gay brothers. Again, I envy you.

I love you, Matty...

From More Tales of the City:

I know I can't tell you what it is to be gay. But I can tell you what it's not.

It's not hiding behind words, Mama. Like family and decency and Christianity. It's not fearing your body, or the pleasures that God made for it. It's not judging your neighbor, except when he's crass or unkind.

Being gay has taught me tolerance, compassion and humility. It has shown me the limitless possibilities of living. It has given me people whose passion and kindness and sensitivity have provided a constant source of strength.

It has brought me into the family of man, Mama, and I like it here. I like it.


ALL The Yum Yums love you, Matty.

No comments: